Oct. 14, 2019, 12:29 p.m. - Oct. 17, 2019, 12:29 p.m. at Ruth Cardoso Cultural and Exhibition Center, Maceió, Brazil
From October 14 to 17, 2019, Lima - Peru was the headquarters of the third edition of the III Latin American and Caribbean Congress on Protected Areas (CAPLAC) under the theme “Solutions for wellbeing and sustainable development”.
Previously held in Santa Marta, Colombia (1997) and Bariloche, Argentina (2007), the Congress is a forum for sharing experiences, academic research and debate on public policies. The event arose as an initiative of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and its World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA), bringing together societal actors to strengthen their capacities as a means of promoting protected areas as nature-based solution to the challenges facing society.
The Red List of Ecosystems (RLE) as one of IUCN's key tools to provide reliable information on the state of biodiversity, had an important space within the congress through the symposium Experiences of the IUCN Red List of Ecosystems in Latin America - implications for decision-making and effective management of biodiversity. Symposium that was held on October 15 and during which the results of recent ecosystem risk assessment and ongoing initiatives of different Latin American countries were presented, with emphasis on their applications for Biodiversity and protected areas management decisions.
The presentation program was:
- What is the IUCN Red List of Ecosystems? Brief introduction to its criteria and categories - Irene Zager
- Applying the criteria of the Red List of Ecosystems in the Dominican Republic - the case of the Pterocarpus officinalis swamps on the Spanish island and its implications for effective management - Lemuel Familia and Tomas Montilla
- The Red List of forest ecosystems in Uruguay - Alejandro Brazeiro
- The Red List of Ecosystems of Costa Rica and its implications for decision making - Bernal Herrera
- The Red List of Ecosystems of Chile - Patricio Pliscoff
- The Red List of Ecosystems of Colombia and the conservation of biodiversity - Andrés Etter and Ángela Andrade
- What is the situation of threatened species and ecosystems in the Latin American Protected Areas system? A regional vision - José Ferrer Paris, Jon Paul Rodríguez and Irene Zager
After the presentations of the different national experiences, a space was opened for the general discussion of the results, the strengths and weaknesses of the approaches used, and the implications and opportunities of the RLE evaluations to support conservation decision making and management of protected areas.
To see the full program of the congress visit its official page here.
Rua Celso Piatti, s/n – Jaraguá, Maceió – AL, Brazil