Oct. 22, 2018, 4:30 p.m. - Oct. 24, 2018, 8:15 p.m. at A’Salam Hotel
The Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD), as co-founder of the Eye on Earth movement, in partnership with the UAE Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority (FCSA) and the Eye on Earth Alliance are delighted to invite all who support evidence-based decision making for environmental and natural resource aspects of sustainable development to Convene, Converge and Collaborate at the Eye on Earth Symposium 2018. Participation in the Eye on Earth (EoE) Symposium is free of charge. Remote participants joining by webcast will be able to see, hear and speak in the Symposium Sessions.
Framed within this event, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), together with its Commission on Ecosystem Management (CEM), are pleased to invite you to the one-day training workshop "Implementation and applications of the Red List of Ecosystems (RLE)" on October 23rd. The IUCN Red List of Ecosystem, underpinned by strong scientific-foundations, evaluates the change in ecosystem distribution and function using quantitative measures, thus informing better ecosystem management solutions and helping identify areas that need effective actions.
The training workshop will:
- Provide an overview of the methodology including key concepts, examples of completed assessments at national and global scales, and their applications;
- Explain the set of five (5) criteria and associated thresholds for performing scientific assessments of the risk of ecosystem collapse, as measured by reductions in geographical distribution or degradation of key processes and components of ecosystems;
- Introduce the eight (8) categories for risk of collapse: Collapsed (CO), Critically Endangered (CR), Endangered (EN), Vulnerable (VU), Near Threatened (NT), Least Concern (LC), Data Deficient (DD), and Not Evaluated (NE);
- Provide an understanding not only of how the criteria work together to assess risk, but how this information can be used to inform different types of policies and management decisions, through targeted case studies; and
- Illustrate key components of the process of undertaking RLE assessments, and data and information requirements, through the review of preliminary experiences and interactive group work targeted at different audiences.
Register here to participate in the IUCN Red List of Ecosystems´ Eye on Earth webcast for free.
A’Salam Hotel in Madinat Jumeirah.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates